What is Bindweed?
Hedge Bindweed (Calystegia sepium) often referred to as Wild Morning Glory, is an invasive species that chokes plants in borders by twining around any plant shoot or cane. Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) also known as Creeping Jenny, is a smaller plant with white or pink flowers which rapidly spreads in bare soil and long grass.
Hedge bindweed has pure white trumpet flowers, whereas Field Bindweed has smaller white or pink flowers. They have strong stems that twine around other plants and distinctive leaves that are shaped like an arrowhead.
Why is Bindweed such a problem?
The creeping rhizomes of this pernicious plant can grow as deep below the surface, making them very difficult to remove by digging out. If they invade a garden they can be even more difficult to eradicate without affecting the surrounding plants.
- Small sections of root are capable of producing new growth. This can be brought into gardens hidden among plant roots and in soils or manures.
- The root system (rhizomes) grow deep underground and can be difficult to eliminate.
- Seeds can stay dormant on the ground for years.
- It suffocates other plants by twining around them.
Many of the following methods have been tried to remove the infestation of Bindweed:
- Excavation. By excavating the area, Bindweed can be removed successfully. However, when Bindweed appears in hedges or flowerbeds, it is not always the best course of action.
- Removal by hand. Cutting the vines (stems) near to the ground can help to control Bindweed, but it does not destroy the rhizomes (root system) which continue to spread deep underground. This means the plant is capable of regrowing.
- Weed Killers – Most weed killers do not penetrate deep enough to destroy the plant. On the surface the weed may appear to be dead, yet the rhizomes (roots) are still alive.
We have the solution
We are here to help.
Our professional, friendly service is specifically tailored to solve your invasive species problem.
With over 20 years experience and the careful development of specially formulated herbicides, Green Leaf has created solutions capable of eliminating; Bindweed, Himayalan Balsam, Japanese Knotweed, Mares’s Tail and much more.
Our herbicide treatment programme has been created to ensure safe removal of your Bindweed.
Tried and tested, our service has been proven to be extremely successful.
Contact a member of our team for a free, no obligation quotation.
- Category :
- Date : September 27, 2019